Friday, January 20, 2012


It's hard to know where to start, so I'm going to keep it simple. Pretty much every day starts with coffee, right? This was the corner opposite my hotel my first morning in Dakar.  Since then, I've seen these young men on several corners. This is the Dakar version of Starbucks.  These young men, and only men do this, set themselves up on a busy corner with instant coffee, powdered milk and a pot of hot water.  The barista here is about to pour the mixture from one cup to another which he does three times rapidly for each customer.  I tried to catch that in a picture, but failed. It makes for a dramatic presentation, but of course it's still instant coffee and powdered milk.  This stall has the rolling Nescafe stand which moves from place to place as needed.  On the corner nearest the place I'm now staying, a large cardboard box protects the whole process from the strong, dusty harmattan winds of the past two days.  I haven't tried the coffee, yet.





No comments:

Post a Comment